Image found on Pillsbury.com.
Sometime you just need a meal that warms the heart and soul. Comfort food. One of the best dishes my husband makes is homemade Chicken Pot Pie. I had a stressful day at work today so this hit the spot! Love you @Danthetallcool1 #BestChickenPotPieEver
The Best Chicken Pot Pie Recipe Ever
1 1/2 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs
2 regular (14.5 oz) cans or 1 large (29 oz) can of Veg-All
1/2 cup half and half
1 (10 oz) can cream of chicken soup
1 pkg double pie crust (Pillsbury)
salt and pepper to taste plus your choice of seasonings (We like to use onion powder, garlic powder, rosemary and thyme.)
1 9 inch glass pie plate
Pie crust edge shield
- Pre-heat oven to 450 degrees.
- Set chicken thighs in shallow baking dish and season with salt, pepper and herbs. bake until firm.
- While chicken is cooking, combine the soup, Veg-All, drained, half and half, and seasonings in a large bowl.
- Once chicken is firm take out of oven to cool for about 5 minutes.
- Take your pie pan and put the bottom pie crust in, ensuring that it goes up the sides of the pan, put the pie shield over edge of crust to prevent burning and place in the oven.
- When chicken has cooled enough to work with, you can either slice into strips or pull apart with a pair of forks, then mix them in the bowl with the other ingredients. This should take about 5 minutes, which is just enough time for the bottom crust to have cooked a little bit.
- Remove bottom crust from the oven.
- Put the mixture from the bowl into the bottom shell in a mound.
- Place top crust on so that it bonds with the lower crust inside the pan, and crimp with a fork all the way around.
- Cut three slits in the top crust, one to let the steam escape, three because your grandmother would have done it that way.
- Put the pie shield back on and bake for 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes remove the shield and bake for 5 or 10 more minutes until the crust is light brown and the filling is bubbling out of the vents.
- Allow a 5-10 minutes to rest, then serve.
I promise you will not be disappointed with this recipe!
Notes: You can use rotisserie chicken in place of fresh chicken. Both are delicious! Pie is about 6 servings.